When you work from home, it’s almost impossible not blur the lines between work and home life at one time or another. For me, it’s not only a challenge to keep the two separate, but I also take the opportunity to see what I can be learning. Just because I may work from home and I have a toddler running around doesn’t mean that my learning experience should be stunted. I may not be going to school to learn “book smarts”, but there are always opportunities around me that I can learn from…including a toddler! Here are just a few poignant tips I have learned that can most definitely carry over into your professional life:
- Keep trying, Mama, don’t give up. Meaning = You may not achieve your goal straight away, but if you continue to work at it, success is most certain. The trial and errors you experience along the way can also be used for other obstacles you may come across later.
- Time to take a break, Mama. Meaning = It’s okay to take a break. In fact, it’s encouraged! You need time to recharge. Whether you stop for a coffee break, a brisk walk outdoors or simply just walk away from the computer for 15 minutes or so; taking that much needed break will give you enough time to reinvigorate yourself to tackle that tough project and get it done.
- Be nice to everyone. Meaning = There really is no reason to be cranky, is there? Yes, we all have bad days, but do we have to project our bad mood onto others? I know, I know, that’s easier said than done, right? Think about this for a second-What we give out to others, we get back in return. So, wouldn’t be in our best interest to just be nice to even those who aren’t to us? Perhaps by not being affected by someone else’s bad mood will curtail our own. And who knows…that one person could turn into a new client some day.
- I need help. You help me? Meaning = It’s perfectly acceptable to reach out when you need some help. Utilize those contacts you have been making on Facebook or LinkedIn. After all, isn’t that a primary reason why we all network? Remember, asking for help is only another opportunity for growth.
- You have beautiful teeth, Mama. Can you smile so I can see? Meaning = People can tell even over the phone whether or not we are smiling. The pitch and tone of your voice changes when we are happy or sad. Clients as well as others, pick up on it. We need to make sure that we are putting our best effort forward. Especially when it comes to our businesses. No one wants to talk to someone who is upset. It has a tendency to bring the other person down, right? So, show some enthusiasm even if you aren’t really feeling it. You’re apt to have a better phone call or a better “meet-and-greet” if you smile. Besides, aren’t they contagious?
These few “tips” have been invaluable to me. Yes, they are basic and yes, they may even seem a bit silly to blog about. But what I have come to realize is that just because you work from home does not mean things have to be complicated. You can find wisdom in the smallest of places. So be open to what’s around you…you’ll never know what knowledge you may gain.